We all love to bask in the summer sun whether it is sun bathing or just spending extra hours outdoors enjoying fun summer activities and family vacations. Now that autumn is upon us we often find that our skin has lost that sun-kissed glow and becomes very dull and tired looking. As much fun as it is to soak up those rays of sunshine, we all know it is very damaging to our skin and it shows in our complexion in the fall and winter months.
You can restore that youthful fresh-faced appearance with a few skin products and treatments.
Here are 7 tips to improve your skin after the summer sun:
- Moisturize. The sun is very drying and damaging and you need to rehydrate your skin. Using a good quality moisturizer that penetrates to the lower layers of the dermis will help restore the moisture lost from over-exposure to the sun. If you are susceptible to acne or pimples, make sure you use a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic and will not block your pores.
- Exfoliate. Facial scrubs and masks will help lift off the dead, dull, sun-damaged skin cells revealing the healthier skin below. This will help brighten your complexion and remove the remnants of a fading tan or areas of hyperpigmentation and darkening.
- Supplements and nutrition. Make sure you include vitamin and mineral supplements to ensure your cells are regenerating at a rapid rate. Your skin reflects your overall health and if you are lacking in certain nutrients in your diet it will show on your face. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin youthful and hydrated.
- Microdermabrasion. If you spend a lot of time in the sun you may have extensive sun damage that might require a deeper exfoliant treatment than you would get from an over the counter product. Microdermabrasion will remove rough patches on the skin and reduce age spots and superficial wrinkles caused by the sun.
- Chemical peels. As above, chemical peels will also help remove the sun damaged outer layer of skin to reveal the healthy skin beneath the dull complexion as well as tighten up the skin to help remove fine lines.
- IPL and lasers. For mature skin the sun is particularly unkind often leaving behind “sun spots” or age spots and increased lines and wrinkles. Many women get their faces ready for the coming holiday season by scheduling their IPL and laser treatments now so their complexion will be glowing by the time all of the celebrations begin. A micro-laser peel is a slightly more aggressive way to remove aging sun damaged skin followed by a smoother more even complexion.
- Anti-aging treatments. The sun causes the dermis to shrink leaving the skin to appear saggy and wrinkled. Facial treatments such as the topical Renova or injectibles such as Juvederm or Restylane will help fill in those wrinkles for a fresher, more-youthful look taking years off your appearance. Your lines that are pronounced due to squinting in the sun as well as frowning can be improved with injections of Botox Cosmetic to relax the muscles and give the lines and furrows a chance to smooth out
These are an overview of the types of measures that you can take to get your skin in better shape and, remove the damage caused by the summer sun.
In order to help you decide the best course of action to give you a brighter complexion, a dermatological consultation for skin rejuvenation is recommended. No matter which treatment is best for you, starting now will mean that you can face those chilly months and the endless rounds of social holiday events with confidence in your looks.